Hi everyone my name is Emma and welcome to my first ever blog!
I’ve just started on the BAPP course and had my first online meeting last week. Normally when I think of a uni ‘lecture’ I think of someone talking for hours on end and lots of notes being taken.. however to my surprise this was far from it. It was only 30 seconds into our chat that we were then asked to go and find an object in the house that represents ourselves. Well at first I found this really hard, looking at loads of objects and failing to see any connection of myself in them. Then I walked past the bathroom and spotted the bubble bath sitting there. Knowing I only had about 30 seconds left I grabbed it and returned to the chat. Luckily the more I thought about it the more connections I could find between myself and bubble bath. I feel like I have a very bubbly personality, I’m a very calm and relaxed person who also has a lot of time for other people.
We were then given 90 seconds each to explain to the others about our day to day lives but we had to include our object also. Again I thought 90 seconds of me talking to people I’ve only just met all about myself might be harder than it sounds but it really wasn’t. I began by telling the group how I’m a dance and gymnastics coach in my local primary schools, so having a bubbly personality is key to keeping the class engaged. Primary aged children are like sponges they soak up everything even down to your mood. I’m a very hands on coach and I like to get involved in the lesson too (which has been quite challenging when trying to keep social distance with kids who don’t fully understand what’s happening).
Sometimes I travel between 2-3 schools per day so I like to stay relaxed and calm whilst driving from place to place. Things like traffic can’t be helped and when I first started the job I got really anxious if I wasn’t going to get to my school in time due to circumstances I couldn’t help but now I just stay calm and get there I can.
My last metaphor between me and bubble bath would be that sometimes you can have a bad class when things don’t work, it can sometimes be very frustrating and you can feel yourself building up inside. A little bit like when you get too hot in a bath the best thing to do it to get out and cool down so just like if you’ve had a bad class it’s best to leave, take a deep breath and see what you can change for the next session.
I personally feel like I’ve learn so much in this first session about how we can look and relate to things in our day to day lives. I also found it so helpful to communicate with the others in my group too and see how they used their object to describe themselves.
But anyways thats enough about bubble bath for one day!!!
Welcome to the course Emma! I love the bubble bath metaphor for your personality and practice. I am sure this will come in helpful as you delve deeper into your professional practice. You have already been able to unpack so many elements that you deal with on a day to day basis which will undoubtedly be helpful identifying your AOLs for the Module One!
ReplyDelete